I didn’t approach the people at this magazine – they approached me. They found my work through an online search, which in turn led them to my website, which in turn led them to me.
This made me happy for many reasons – the key ones include the following:
- Someone of significance in the deeper depths of the Interweb saw and liked my work – enough to contact me.
- The keywords that I used to describe my webpages were effective – people were discovering my work.
- The internet connected me to a great contact that led to a fantastic opportunity.
What is SEO?
It is the process of improving traffic (visitors) to your website. It is about making your site more visible when someone types a “keyword” into a search engine such as Google.
That is, when someone types in a search word, you want your site to appear in the search results of the top 1-3 pages. It’s not enough just to upload a site. You need content that includes the following:
- Headers that include keywords contained on a page. For example, Tree of 40 Fruit is a main heading.
- Copy text that includes those same keywords found in your headers. For example, use content that includes the words “Tree of 40 Fruit” to reinforce the heading text.
- Pages that are indexed correctly for search engines to follow them. This information is in the back-end of your site.
o Ensure you have the following meta tag in the HTML source of your page: <meta name="robots" content="index, follow"> .
- Pages that contain links to some of your other content. This helps drive visitors to some of your older content.
- Pages that are up-to-date and relevant. No-one wants to visit a page that is out-dated, and are even less likely to revisit such a page.