So ink in hand, I’ve been using the following techniques (on smooth Bristol paper):
- Drawing with a wet, sharpened wood stick (chop stick)
- Using blobs of ink with a paint brush
- Using white ink to overlay over the dark inks – working in layers
- Using a hairdryer, to blow the ink into certain patterns.
- Using fine tip markers to refine the illustrations
Throughout this whole process, I haven’t worried about the end result. Some of my pieces have “been filed under G”. However, those that have made it to the Inktober Hall of Fame are because of my trust in the process of experimentation with ink, water, and found tools.
The Balloon Ride was submitted to Illustration Friday for the theme of Adventure;Leaf Viens was submitted for the theme of Whimsical.